The European Football Union UEFA does not want to open the door for the video assistant at matches of the Champions League.
“I do not think it will be a general standard, but they will allow anyone to test it,” said UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin at the Bratislava Congress.
Next Saturday (March 3), the rulers of the International Football Association Board want to be in Zurich on the introduction of the video wizard.
“I can imagine they will use the video assistants at the World Cup in Russia,” said Ceferin, “but we will not use it in the next Champions League season.”
Ceferin does not generally reject the use of technical assistance. “I am absolutely not against it, there is no way back, but we have to train the referees accordingly,” said the UEFA chief.
Nobody knows how it works exactly in the daily work, that could be a big problem, so Ceferin: “Let’s see how it works at the World Cup, and then we will decide.”
FIFA President Gianni Infantino had repeatedly spoken out in favor of the video assistant. He has been tested in the Bundesliga since the beginning of the season. So far, the experiences are not only positive, there were many problems, especially in the question of when the assistant should intervene in errors of impartial in the stadium and when not.